Thursday, August 16, 2012

Feeling Crafty Today! :)

So... I was up at school this afternoon helping out with registration. The afternoon was a bit slow, so I got on my iPad and started to Pinterest. I could Pin for HOURS!! The problem is that sometimes I do nothing after I have pinned it. So one of my new "resolutions" was to actually DO some of my Pins. So I got inspired today!

Finished Project!


Here is my Inspiration Pin!




I started out by going to the store to get the supplies. Luckily Joann's had their canvases on sale for 50% off!! (so I bought a pack of 3... thought I could do this as a gift for others as well). I also bought paint, a coarse paint brush, sponge brushes, and candy :). I love that I can use the Joann's App to get coupons as well! SCORE!

Once I got home, I laid out my messy cloth and painted the canvas red with the coarse brush. I wanted to be able to see the brush strokes. HELPFUL TIP: I took a plastic container and placed it inside a Ziploc bag then put the paint inside it. No clean up!


After that, I tore out the pages of an old  (falling apart and much loved) Cat in the Hat book. 



From there I went to my computer and researched quotes from Dr. Seuss to use. There are so many good ones that I could not decide. I gave my hubby 3 choices to choose from. He said, "You're not going to actually use the one I pick anyways, so what does it matter?" Therefore, I had to use his choice. Which I like anyways or I wouldn't have given him the option. :)

I typed the quote into Word and selected a font that I liked and that I thought I could replicate. 

From there, I cut out groups of verse from the Cat in the Hat pages that I had torn out. I also cut out the words that I had printed off from the computer. 




Now, to figure out how to get the words from the printed page to the pages from the book. I think that I have pretty neat handwriting but I didn't want it to be in my handwriting. SO, I came up with an inventive solution. I used a 9x13 clear baking dish and and light that would shine through the side to create a light box. Of course, if you have light box, use it!




I then placed each word onto different parts of the book and very carefully traced the letters using a Sharpie marker. I didn't do the words in order, I tried to make sure that they fit well on the parts of the book that I had cut out. 



After all of the words were traced, I went back to the canvas and took some blue paint and embellished the edges. I didn't want the painting to be too red. 


Then I took a break from the project to start this blog post and look at the inspiration project again. At this point, I decided to test out the Sharpie markings to see if the Mod Podge would make it bleed. Thankfully it did not so I decided it was ok to start mod podging the words onto the canvas. I laid out the words where I wanted them and then glued each one individually. I covered the entire back with Mod Podge so that the edges would be sure to stick. 



 Then I got brave, VERY VERY BRAVE, and wrote ~Dr. Seuss..... BY HAND onto the canvas. And I think that I did a pretty good job of it!



Now I had to decide which embellishments to add to the canvas. The inspiration picture had flowers... not sure that I wanted to do that for Blake's room... So I went to her Etsy shop to look for other ideas.

I printed off some starts to cut out and see how they looked.... I like them so I traced the stars that I cut out, then painted them onto the canvas.



Here is the canvas with the stars painted on. 


Once the paint dried, I covered the entire canvas in Mod Podge. I wanted to make sure that the words were sealed all the way. 

Here is the finished project again!



1 comment:

  1. Very cute! Makes me want to do one for our house or Elliott's room.

    ReplyDelete